Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Through February 22nd

We left Safford, shown below,


and headed to a three way intersection in the far eastern section of Arizona. Interestingly enough it is called Three Way and it consists of an old fashion filling station, an old broken down (bars on all windows and doors) general store and a drive-in theater screen. Not much else.


Good example of the wilderness.


There was not a lot to more to see but from this point on the ride it was a 13 mile downhill plunge. Watch out below!

We camped at Valley View RV and took a preview of the second highest peak we were to climb, the  6,288 ft. no name pass in about a 5  mile stretch.



Here is the name of the land area we were in.




This formation looked like a castle.


This one had some character.


Here's one Jeanne called the Lord's foot sticking out of the earth. 


This reminded me of the three monkees: say no evil, see no evil, hear no evil.


This reminded me of a cathederal, like Chartres painted by Monet.


We finally got to the top and this was the rock formation there. It reminded me of those robotic toys called transformers.

Jeanne was waiting for me at the highest mountain I ever biked up. I was mighty pleased to see her. We had lunch in a forest just past the peak and then made the descent to Mule Creek and crossed over from Arizona into New Mexico. This was a very beautiful ride as it remided me of going through the Alps in Switzerland.


Notice the grates in the foreground. These are placed along roadways to keep the cattle form crossing over. When they see it, they refuse to step onto it, apparently for fear of hurting themselves so they stay in bounds. Clever inventor. There's Jeanne waiting for me.


Here's a view of the ride into New Mexico heading towards Buckhorn. Rollling open spaces of grass with a few trees spaced out.  We stayed at Buckhorn and then moved on to Silver City over the Contenental Divide.


Here I am leaning against the sign. The picture was taken by another biker we met, Jackie Blurton, who with her husband Jim own the KOA in Silver City, right where we were heading.


Here's Jackie. I rode with her for a few miles and she is a terrific biker. I couldn't keep up.


Here's shot of Silver City, NM as I came donw the hill into town.  Jackie suggested a bike shop to have my bike looked at by professionals before I climb the next high mountain, 8,230 ft. Emory Pass. Also, my odometer was off and needed to be looked at.  


While at the shop we ran into this very interesting bike I had never seen before. It has extremely fat tires for sand, gravel and other terrain.

Tomorrow we are heading up the road, about 45 miles by truck, to see the Gila Cliff Dwellings where Indians once lived. We will keep you posted.   



No comments:

Post a Comment